Taxicab rates for trips within the city of Chicago and the airports are governed by the City of Chicago.
Rates of Fare
Rates of Fare
In Chicago, you pay the amount shown on the taximeter, plus any tolls. There is no extra charge for baggage or credit card use.
- Flag pull or initial charge: $3.25 Each additional 1/9 of a mile: $0.25
- Every 36 seconds of time elapsed: $0.20
- Flat fee for first additional passenger Applies only to additional passengers aged 13 through 64: $1.00
- Flat fee for each additional passenger after first Applies only to additional passengers aged 13 through 64: $0.50
- Vomit Clean-Up Fee: $50.00
- Illinois Airport Departure Tax: $4.00
- Credit Card Processing Tech Fee: $0.50
- Small Package Delivery Fee: $10.00
- Tolls: Customer Pays Ipass Rate
Straight Meter Fares
Fares with no special rates apply on trips from Midway or O’Hare airports to the following suburbs: Alsip, Bedford Park, Blue Island, Burnham, Calumet City, Calumet Park, Cicero, Des Plaines, Dolton, Elk Grove, Elmwood Park, Evanston, Evergreen Park, Forest View, Harwood Heights, Hines Hospital, Hometown, Lincolnwood, Merrionette Park, Niles, Norridge, Oak Lawn, Oak Park, Park Ridge, Riverdale, River Grove, Rosemont, Stickney, and Summit. All other trips are metered at one and one half the rate from Chicago’s city limits to the suburbs. Rates from O’Hare or Midway to all other suburbs are meter and one-half. Rates from Chicago, excluding O’Hare and Midway Airports, are straight meter to the city limits plus meter and one-half from the city limits to the destination. An additional charge of $4.00 is added to the total fare on each trip from O’Hare or Midway Airports under the State of Illinois Metropolitan Pier & Exposition Authority (MPEA) Airport Departure Ordinance. The tax should appear on the meter as an “extra” charge.